Free Union Homes For Sale
4196 BALLARDS MILL RD FREE UNION, Virginia
7 Beds 5.5 Baths 5,359 SqFt 35.720 Acres
6397 PIG MOUNTAIN RD FREE UNION, Virginia
4 Beds 2.5 Baths 114 Acres
Farms for Sale in Free Union VA
No properties found
Recently Sold Free Union Real Estate
4279 MILLINGTON RD FREE UNION, Virginia
5 Beds 7.5 Baths 9,851 SqFt 46.240 Acres
5095 WESLEY CHAPEL RD FREE UNION, Virginia
4 Beds 3.5 Baths 5,802 SqFt 40.470 Acres
5511 FREE UNION RD FREE UNION, Virginia
6 Beds 6.5 Baths 6,476 SqFt 53.770 Acres
2684 CHAPEL SPRING LN FREE UNION, Virginia
3 Beds 2 Baths 1,850 SqFt 87.380 Acres
4051 BALLARDS MILL RD FREE UNION, Virginia
4 Beds 5.5 Baths 6,465 SqFt 76 Acres
5083 CATTERTON RD FREE UNION, Virginia
3 Beds 3.5 Baths 2,762 SqFt 40.330 Acres
4676 WESLEY CHAPEL RD FREE UNION, Virginia
4 Beds 3 Baths 4,710 SqFt 55.920 Acres
2114 GEORGETOWN FARM RD FREE UNION, Virginia
5 Beds 3 Baths 2,996 SqFt 88.310 Acres
3396 FOX MOUNTAIN RD FREE UNION, Virginia
5 Beds 5.5 Baths 6,351 SqFt 157.360 Acres
2437 CHAPEL SPRING LN FREE UNION, Virginia
6 Beds 5.5 Baths 4,586 SqFt 23.060 Acres
3154 FOX MOUNTAIN RD FREE UNION, Virginia
3 Beds 2.5 Baths 2,802 SqFt 5 Acres
2330 HOMESTEAD FARM RD FREE UNION, Virginia
4 Beds 2.5 Baths 4,564 SqFt 4.510 Acres
4430 BALLARDS MILL RD FREE UNION, Virginia
4 Beds 5.5 Baths 3,929 SqFt 19.500 Acres
3434 TWIN LOCUST FARM FREE UNION, Virginia
3 Beds 2 Baths 1,596 SqFt 75.960 Acres
5904 FREE UNION RD FREE UNION, Virginia
5 Beds 5.5 Baths 5,050 SqFt 21.900 Acres
4677 A CATTERTON RD FREE UNION, Virginia
3 Beds 2.5 Baths 2,924 SqFt 52.680 Acres
Free Union Land For Sale
Free VA Union History
In 1761, the Free Union area was added to Albemarle County. Two of the earliest families settling here were James Harris and Daniel and Gabriel Maupin. Daniel Maupin lived from 1748 until his death in 1788 in White Hall area on the Maupin Home place. Gabriel his son lived on what is now called Brakeheart Road in Sugar Hollow until his death in 1794. Gabriel’s son Thomas Maupin was the first of the Maupin family to live in the Free Union area. He lived just north of Wesley Chapel Church. He is believed to be buried in the Maupin Cemetery on Pea Vine Road. There are many fieldstones and Ora Maupin and her cousin Marvin Maupin took care of the cemetery for many years. They were not sure of the names for the many fieldstone graves in the cemetery.
No military action occurred in Free Union during the Civil War, and the village emerged unscathed.
Thirty-one families lived within two miles of Free Union in 1847. By 1884-85, Free Union contained two coach and wagon builders, two distillers, three general merchants, two liquor dealers, one corn and one flourmill, two physicians, one undertaker and twenty-one principal farmers. By 1911, Free Union had an estimated population of sixty and included several businesses.
Free Union Baptist Church
Built in 1837, classical-revival, small scale with gable-end entrance, and some Flemish bond brickwork.
The church was built during a time when many rural sects of religion did not have the funds to build individual houses of Worship; so four denominations (Baptist, Methodist, Episcopalian, and Presbyterian) built this ‘union’ church. It was “free” to all races. Dickinson and Sarah Burruss, of the nearby old Homestead estate, gave the land (deeded November 25,1837) to be used “for a Place of worship … for the different denominations of Christians…one Sabbath or Lord day in every month.” The brick for its construction was made on the Burruss’ plantation. James Ferguson taught school in this Church to black students following the Civil War and is purportedly the first of its kind in Albemarle County.
The village of Free Union was originally named Nicksville after a free slave blacksmith named Nick.
In 1847 a Post Office was established in this village and in order to avoid confusion with a nearby town called Nicksville, the name Free Union was adopted.
Hucksteps Garage, the service station/garage had been in operation since 1933.
Maupin Bros General Store (White’s Store)
(Free Union Community Hall) Estimated Date of Construction-1850. 2-story, 3-bay wide 4-bay long, gable roofed frame building with gabled-roofed end – entrance with small 1-story porch. North gable has decorative louvered vent. Enclosed stair rises to the South gable-end. Some windows have original shutters.
One of the oldest buildings in Free Union, it served a number of functions during its history. Long owned by the James Harris (died 1797) family, it was originally built as a dwelling house on the corner of their plantation. It also served Ned Harris as a cabinet maker/coffin and wheelwright’s shop. Additionally a Post Office, stores run by John Wyant and John and Charles Bing, a polling house, community hall, lodge hall, library, church social and supper hall, all once occupied this space. Since 1961 this place has been used as Storage. Dr. Bruce Campbell currently owns it.
Free Union, Once Called Nicksville, Officially Was Put on Map as Post Office 167 Years Ago By Vera V. Via (1968)
“One hundred and sity-seven years ago residents of what is now Free Union were looking forward to an event, which would put them on the map. A movement was afoot to establish a post office in the Albemarle County village.
Up to that time the village was known Nicksville . But since another city called Nixville existed in the county, one of the first obstacles was to rename Nicksville to avoid any conflict at the two post offices.
Villages rarely were named when they formed in early days. They began as settlements and acquired names as they grew. Nicksville is said to have been named after a “Free Black” who ran a blacksmith shop in what is now the center of the village.
Several legends appear regarding selection of a name for the new post office but some of these stories are doubtful. In 1847, about 10 years after Free Union Baptist Church was built in what is now the village, the center of the community was about two miles west of the present site and was known as Thompson’s neighborhood. It had a store and a church building (the old Garrison Meeting House).
With the growth of Nicksville, the post office was established and it was placed in what is now Free Union.
We don’t know who chose the name but it was named after the Baptist church. The church was built as a Union church and was free. Free Union Church is mentioned in old records and papers before the post office was established.
For some time afterwards, Free Union remained a post office designation only. The older folks still called the town Nicksville even up to the turn of the century.
A list supplied by the General Service Administration in Washington, D. C. gives the name of Henry Harris as the first postmaster at Free Union. He received the appointment on March 8, 1847. He was a member of the family, which settled at Free Union while it was still a part of Louisa County.
The exact location of the post office operated by Harris is not known. He is said to have lived at Herndon House, which burned a few years ago. Thanks to Active Media for keeping an historic compilation on Free Union.”
Free Union Community Resources